Artificial intelligence (AI) is rapidly transforming the way we live and work. From helping us automate mundane tasks to helping organizations realize previously unheard-of value and more, AI is becoming an integral part of our lives. But the real power of AI lives in its potential to evolve by utilizing open-source projects that enable developers and users to contribute to the development of AI technologies.
Innovative Uses of Artificial Intelligence
AI has been used in many innovative ways in recent years, and there are many use cases for AI in the enterprise. One example is medical diagnosis in healthcare. AI can be used to identify patterns in data that may indicate a certain disease or condition. This information can be used to develop better diagnostic tools and treatments.
Finance teams are also using AI effectively, and generating strong business value. AI is being used to develop better financial products and services (such as investment strategies) and identify fraudulent activity.
AI is also being used to create more realistic and believable characters in video games. This allows for a more immersive gaming experience for players. In addition, it’s being used to create more realistic and believable non-player characters (NPCs). This provides a more challenging and interesting gaming experience.
Amazing AI Successes Made Possible by Open-Source Tools
Let’s explore some amazing open-source AI projects that are making a difference in the world. There have been many AI successes in recent years that were made possible by the collaborative power of the open-source community. Here are just a few:
- First-ever photograph of a black hole: MIT graduate student Katie Bouman led the development of the algorithm that generated the first photograph of a black hole, a breakthrough made possible by NumFOCUS open-source software projects. Dr. Bouman and other scientists used the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT), a network of eight linked telescopes, to render the algorithm.
- Personalized recommendations: Netflix has been a proponent of open-source technology for over a decade. The entertainment company is perhaps best known for its personalized recommendations, generated by using viewer watch histories to serve up content that users with similar watch habits enjoyed.
- Google Translate: The Google Brain team created a successful machine learning algorithm that was able to improve the performance of Google Translate by more than 10%.
- ChatGPT: OpenAI, an AI research laboratory created ChatGPT, a generative language model that is arguably the world’s most intelligent chatbot. To learn more, check out our webinar on the transformative power of large language models and article on the abilities and limitations of ChatGPT.
Open-Source Tools Make a Great AI Platform
There are many tools you can use to build and deploy machine learning and deep learning models. Some practitioners opt for a more full-featured AI platform, but there are many ways to combine open-source tools to create a virtual AI platform to build and deploy your models.
Open-source tools like Anaconda, PyTorch, TensorFlow/Keras, and 🤗Transformers can come together to make a great AI platform because they:
- cost less than proprietary tools because they are usually free to use and distribute;
- are more flexible than proprietary tools, because you can customize them to fit the specific needs of your project;
- can be more reliable than proprietary tools because they are developed by a community of users who test and improve the software; and
- make it easy to collaborate with others on AI projects, because they are available online and allow anyone to contribute to the development of the software.
Getting Started with Anaconda as an AI Platform
If you want to develop AI applications, Anaconda makes it easy to get started. It’s simple to set up and provides access to a wide range of open-source data science and machine learning tools, frameworks, and libraries. Simply create your free account to start coding with Anaconda in the cloud.
To learn more about how Anaconda can help you build and deploy secure Python solutions faster, request a demonstration today.