Human in the Loop
Machine learning (ML) has reached an exciting phase of development, a phase that Vicki Boykis, Senior ML Engineer at Duo Security* has characterized as the “steam-powered days.” In this episode of Numerically Speaking: The Anaconda Podcast, Vicki talks about the state of the industry and where she sees things heading.
Vicki’s discussion with host Peter Wang covers:
- the interplay between software engineering and ML
- the human element of the development lifecycle (and the lack thereof in social media)
- operationalization and the rise of microservices
- Click here to visit Vicki’s blog.
- Click here to purchase The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life by Erving Goffman, referenced by Vicki.
- Click here to purchase Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet, also referenced by Vicki.
- Click here to listen to the Jim Rutt/Rob Malda (Slashdot) podcast episode referenced by Peter.
- Check out the P2 website here.
You can find a human-verified transcript of this episode here.
If you enjoyed today’s show, please leave a 5-star review. For more information, visit anaconda.com/podcast.
*At the time of the interview, Vicki Boykis was an ML Engineer working on Tumblr at Automattic.